While we still have one more month of glorious summer, many of us are already looking forward to course planning in September. If your assignments require research and citations, you should consider adding library instruction to your syllabus this fall.
If you have used library tutorials in the past, thanks for the continued support! This summer, we have been working to improve some of our processes to make sending previous marks easier for instructors and library staff:
- Tutorial due dates: We ask you to carefully consider the due date for your tutorial(s) and make dates firm. Granting extensions can only be requested by instructors and if an extension is required, it will only be available to the entire class (not individual students).
- Marks reporting: For student convenience, we keep marks they receive on library tutorials recorded and are able to forward the mark to future classes. We have a new process this term where students must give permission to share the mark within the Brightspace environment. Detailed instructions can be found here: https://langara.ca/library/research-help/tutorials-login.html
- Do you accept previous marks? If you would rather your students take an online tutorial fresh, please let us know and we can disable students’ ability to forward previous marks.
The full catalogue of library instruction can be found after the break:
Librarian Alli Sullivan chats with students at this year’s Scholarship Cafe.
- A record number of instructional sessions
- The official launch of The LaIR at the Scholarship Cafe
- The debut of the Copyright for Creators online tutorial
- Award-winning culinary skills on display at the Langara Cooks event
- Activities and engagement as part of Open Education Week and Freedom to Read Week
- And much more!
All semester and annual reports are available on Library Central, tagged Library Reports.
Happy end of term!
As we wind down Spring and turn our thoughts to Summer, now is the perfect time to consider adding library instruction into your curriculum!
If you have added the online library tutorials in your courses in the past, please be advised of these changes to the way that we book classes and forward marks:
- Due to a growing number of extension requests for tutorials, we ask you to carefully consider the due dates for the tutorials quizzes and to make these dates firm. We will no longer grant extensions for individual students. If you absolutely need the due date to be extended, we will only grant an extension to the entire class.
- To ease workload on both the library and instructors, we will be implementing a new procedure for students to have their marks from previous terms forwarded to current classes. This summer, we are piloting a procedure that will ask student to give permission to forward marks inside the Brightspace environment (no longer using the form on the library website). This new method allows instructors to receive a single spreadsheet of student marks after the due date on the quizzes has passed that contains all student marks (you will no longer get an individual email for every student). Detailed instructions on this new procedure are forthcoming.
If you have students complete research assignments, adding library instruction to your curriculum helps students find scholarly resources, evaluate things they find, and introduces students to principles around avoiding plagiarism. Below the break, find our full catalogue of offerings.