We’re all looking forward to a well deserved break, but if you’re already thinking about class planning for the January term, consider adding library instruction to get your students set up for research and citation success!
At the library, we offer a suite of online tutorials and the opportunity for in-person library instruction that is catered to your specific research assignment.
To learn more about the library instruction options, please contact your subject librarian or continue to read below.
To celebrate Open Access week (October 22-26), the Open Langara Advisory Committee is co-sponsoring a panel event discussing invisible labour in open scholarship.
The event will take place during the evening of Wednesday, October 24 at SFU Harbour Centre. A reception with light refreshments will precede the panel discussion and questions. Continue reading
While we still have one more month of glorious summer, many of us are already looking forward to course planning in September. If your assignments require research and citations, you should consider adding library instruction to your syllabus this fall.
If you have used library tutorials in the past, thanks for the continued support! This summer, we have been working to improve some of our processes to make sending previous marks easier for instructors and library staff:
- Tutorial due dates: We ask you to carefully consider the due date for your tutorial(s) and make dates firm. Granting extensions can only be requested by instructors and if an extension is required, it will only be available to the entire class (not individual students).
- Marks reporting: For student convenience, we keep marks they receive on library tutorials recorded and are able to forward the mark to future classes. We have a new process this term where students must give permission to share the mark within the Brightspace environment. Detailed instructions can be found here: https://langara.ca/library/research-help/tutorials-login.html
- Do you accept previous marks? If you would rather your students take an online tutorial fresh, please let us know and we can disable students’ ability to forward previous marks.
The full catalogue of library instruction can be found after the break:
Librarian Alli Sullivan chats with students at this year’s Scholarship Cafe.
- A record number of instructional sessions
- The official launch of The LaIR at the Scholarship Cafe
- The debut of the Copyright for Creators online tutorial
- Award-winning culinary skills on display at the Langara Cooks event
- Activities and engagement as part of Open Education Week and Freedom to Read Week
- And much more!
All semester and annual reports are available on Library Central, tagged Library Reports.