Open Langara has partnered with BCcampus to offer Langara instructors a $500 honorarium to review a textbook in the BCcampus Open Textbook Collection.
For those unfamiliar with the BCcampus Open Textbook Initiative, the aim is to “make higher education more accessible by reducing student cost through the use of openly licensed textbooks” (BCcampus). Since 2013, Langara instructors have saved students over $500,000 by adopting free, open textbooks and other open educational resources.
Currently, BCcampus offers $250 for a textbook review, but for a limited time Open Langara will match that amount for a total of $500.
Instructors do not have to be using a free, open textbook to be eligible for the honorarium. We encourage all to apply.
Interested? There are a limited number of spots available, so apply today.
More details below.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to review a textbook, if:
- You teach the subject area of the selected text.
- You are willing to consider the adoption of the reviewed textbook, provided the quality and contents are appropriate for your course.
More information: Review and Selection Process on the BCcampus website.
Is there a deadline?
You must submit your complete review to BCcampus by March 15, 2019 to be eligible for the Open Langara $250 honorarium.
If you submit your review after March 15, 2019, you may still be eligible for the BCcampus $250 honorarium, but not the additional money from Open Langara.
Do you have examples of past reviews?
Complete reviews are posted at the bottom of the introduction page of the textbook in the B.C. Open Textbook Collection. See examples below:
- Anatomy & Physiology – 5 reviews
- English Literature: Victorians and Moderns. – 2 reviews
- World Regional Geography – 1 review
- Microbiology> – 1 review
I am interested, what are the steps?
- Find an open textbook in the BCcampus Open Textbook Collection that is relevant to your course and eligible for review: Find Open Textbooks. (For a list of non-eligible textbooks, see the bottom of the Application Form page. All other texts in the collection are eligible).
- Apply to BCcampus to be a reviewer: Review an Open Textbook. Open Langara will be notified when your application has been accepted.
- Complete the review using the BCcampus Open Textbooks Review Rubric: BCcampus Open Textbook Review Rubric.
- Submit your review to BCcampus before March 15, 2019.
- Once your review has been accepted and published by BCcampus, you will receive your honorariums from both BCcampus and Open Langara. BCcampus cheques take an average of 4-6 weeks to arrive and Open Langara cheques may take up to two weeks.
Still have questions? Contact Darcye Lovsin at email@example.com.