The Ultimate Blade Sharpener
This one came from Thingiverse… ( link > ) the ultimate blade sharpener. Thank you to Tom Jones of Techtomics for sharing the model. The sharpening block is designed to use 50mm strips of wet/dry paper or sandpaper for utimate flexibility and cost effectiveness when sharpening blades of different purposes and grades.
Fine Arts Workshop Sander Tool Holder
Will needed a tool holder for a sander, due to the fact the three wrenches kept going missing.
I created a holder in a 3D program and printed it on the Tinkerine Ditto Pro. Added a bit of foam rubber to lock in the tools (they would be under vibration), and problem solved.
Watch Strap With Square Holes
I decided to utilize the laser for a replacement watch strap. I could easily cut the square holes with the laser (instead of purchasing a very expensive square punch). The stitching holes, shape and buckle holes were all done with laser. The two leathers were first glued up, then laser cut. I also engraved a tiny triggerfish on the strap. The watch strap was then saddle stitched using 2 needles. Afterwards the edges were lightly sanded and finished wth an edge paint.
The Smooth & Quiet Cart
I had inexpensive cart that was rattling, locking up its wheels, and even had my neighbour complaining about the noise down the hallway. I decided to laser cut (& engrave) a birch plywood base for it, and purchase some super smooth & quiet German castors. The result is a cart that glides along with me as I walk. 🙂
A System Created To Prevent Our PLA From Becoming Brittle
Plant based PLA 3D printing filament becomes very brittle when it absorbs moisture. When it becomes brittle your 3D print can fail.
I came up with a multi-part solution for our Ditto Pro 3D printers.
- Design and print a “soap dish” to hold Silica gel. Silica gel absorbs moisture so the PLA does not. This slica gel is orange but turns blue after absorbing to its maximum. You can then can heat it up to restore it to its dry state.
- Create a back door for the dittos. This back door uses a sheet of plastic and foam rubber to seal it. The sheet has a 3D printed handle, that helps it to slip into a channel that was also 3D printed.
The system is in testing stage now, fingers crossed it will solve our snapping PLA troubles.
Trac-ball Holder & Wrist Pad
- Fusion360 – to model
- Illustrator- for final cut sheets
- Trotec Laser – to cut wood
Bandsaw Replacement Handle.
Form2 UV/Heat Curing Box.
The Form2 3D prints must be cured at 60 degrees and under a UV light after printing. The options are a Formlabs Cure box for $936 or build our own for $40.
- Pink foam construction to insulate.
- Lamp head with 60 watt bulb is covered in foil. Brings box to 60 degrees.
- UV LED lamp to cure.
- Solar powered turntable to rotate parts while curing.
- Meat thermometer to monitor and regulate the temperature.
3D Filament Spooler For Makerbot Spools
We have to transfer PLA filament for the 3D printers from large rolls to the smaller Makerbot rolls. The Makerbot rolls have a series of notches that the crank’s tabs can lock into. The spooler consists of supports, giant bolts, a crank and a tensioner to keep the filament taunt.
The tensioner, crank and bolts are printed on the 3D printers. The wood supports and base were laser cut.
3D Filament Spooler For Tinkerine Spools
We have to transfer PLA filament for the 3D printers from large rolls to the smaller Tinkerine rolls. The Tinkerine rolls have 1 hole to lock into to spin the loading roll.
The spooler consists of supports, giant bolts, a crank and a tensioner to keep the filament taunt. The tensioner, crank and bolts are printed on the 3D printers. The wood supports and base were laser cut.
Dyson Accessory Box
With no holder available for my new Dyson vacuum’s accessories, I decided to make my own.
I first created the brackets that the accessories clip in 3D. The clips allow the accessories to lock into an exact area of the box. The box was then laser cut, glued up and aniline dyed.
USB, SD & Tools Holders
To organize and keep the USB, SD cards and accessories handy we created a number of holders. Also a USB, clip on handle and ID.
Laser Vent Shutoff
Odds & Ends
- We required a special oversized bracket to secure the shelf for our 3D printers.
- My closets particle board doors bottoms and tops had disintegrated, leaving the spring loaded pins useless. The solution was to laser cut and screw in these wood panels.
- My older laser printers paper flap snapped. Because it is under tension, glue would not repair it. A quick drawing and a quick print, problem solved.